Loss Control & Risk Management
Our team of safety and risk management professionals provides comprehensive services to over 400 public entities in Florida. We are dedicated to meeting the challenges of the complex issues public entities face and will develop a service plan tailored to your specific needs.
Loss Control & Risk Management Services
Meet Our Team
Kevin Meehan, Vice President – Loss Control
Kevin oversees the Loss Control department and implements member services initiatives. He helps develop and improve educational training programs, member service platforms, and member safety incentive programs. His ultimate responsibility is to increase member engagement with loss control to improve member loss experience and help reduce out-of-pocket costs.
- 20 years of public entity experience
- 220 license
Mike Marinan, Senior Risk Control Consultant
Mike has a degree in industrial safety engineering and over 37 years’ experience in the safety and risk management field, with over 21 years dedicated to the public sector risk. Mike’s primary objectives include safety and loss control initiatives, reconciling issues between Preferred members and third party claims administrators, and developing opportunities for the Trust’s participants to gather knowledge, skills, and information to effectively govern and manage insurance costs. Additionally, Mike and his team will provide pre-inspection services for potential new Preferred members. Mike is an active member of ASSE and was appointed by the governor to the Task Force on Workplace Safety.
Christopher Kittleson, ARM, CPSI, Director of Loss Control Technical Services
Christopher H. Kittleson joined Public Risk Underwriters of Florida, Inc. in 2010 and provides Loss Control services for the southern Florida region. With over 22 years of safety & health consulting experience Chris has developed industry expertise in the areas of construction, manufacturing and USL&H as well as safety programming expertise in the areas of safety program development, return-to-work programs, regulatory compliance, accident investigation and safety training. Prior to working in the insurance industry, Chris’ career was with IBM where he held various engineering positions. Chris graduated Cum Laude from St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN with a Bachelor of Science in engineering technology, has earned his Associate in Risk Management (ARM) designation, is a Professional Member of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) and was awarded the 2013 Safety Professional of the Year Award by the South Florida Chapter of ASSE.
Pamela Hancock, Senior Risk Control Consultant
Pam has been in the insurance industry for the past 26 years and has worked primarily with governmental entities during her career. She provides safety training, program/policy development, safety committee oversight, performs claims reviews, trending analysis and inspections. With an emphasis on education, Pam has become a valuable resource to the Preferred members.
Mike Stephens, Senior Loss Control Specialist
Mike has worked with Public Risk Underwriters of Florida, Inc. for the last 20 years. Prior to working with Preferred, Mike worked within the health insurance industry. Mike has completed the OSHA #501 Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry and has attained certification as a Safety Auditor through the National Association of Safety Professionals. Mike’s safety awareness and resourcefulness are what make him an essential part of the Safety & Risk Management team.
Our Loss Control team is available for contracted services for non Preferred pool members. Service highlights include:
- General Safety Training
- Onsite Safety Inspections
- Safety Program Development Assistance
- Safety Program Review & Evaluation
- Claims Analysis & Management
- Claims 101’s and Claims Reviews
- Safety Committee Development and Guidance Accident Review Board Development and Guidance
Please contact Kevin Meehan for pricing on our contracted services plan.
Vector Solutions is an online training platform offering more than 600 training courses covering topics related to HR/Employment Practices, OSHA Compliance, Motor Vehicle Safety, Office Productivity, Business Skills and Project Management.
Our Preferred Virtual Training Academy offers customizable programs provided by our Loss Control Consultants as well as industry leaders on a variety of topics. Topics range from workplace safety and claims handling to human resources, ADA and cybersecurity. A comprehensive list of customizable training topics is available upon request.
Streamery is a mobile streaming video service that provides 24/7 on-demand training. Streamery offers over 700 training topics, including transportation safety, workplace safety, hazmat, construction safety and human resource/legal compliance.
This is an incentive program that provides a reimbursement of 50% for safety equipment / training up to maximum of $5,000 per policy period.
The Resource Center is available to members who have their EPLI-related coverages with Preferred and includes the following:
Human Resource Helpline Services
- Confidential, documented responses to employment law-related questions from Florida-based attorneys who specialize in Labor/Employment law
- Online Unlawful Harassment training for all supervisors and employees
- A Florida-specific employee handbook building tool
- HR Express Updates, including popular questions of the month and HR Alerts
- Customizable HR risk management resources, including federal and state specific forms and posters
- Breach health check – Measurable data breach exposure and protection through instant feedback
- Robust privacy and security templates, including a customizable incident response plan (IRP)
- Resources for keeping staff up to date on a range of issues related to privacy, data security and compliance
- Latest news and events regarding data breaches, regulations, class-action lawsuits, cyber threats, and protective technologies
ADA Website Compliance Resources
- ADA Compliance Fact Sheet and Checklist – resource tools to review your organization’s online presence
- WAVE by WebAIM Accessibility Evaluation Tool – to evaluate the accessibility of your organization’s web page